Data is the new oil. However, like oil, data is only valuable if refined and transformed into something useful, which is where data science comes in. Almost every company works with data, making data scientists one of the most in-demand professionals of the last two decades. The need for data scientists who can expertly analyse data, extract critical insights and effectively present the findings has never been higher.
Designed to help you gain in-demand data science and machine learning skills, the ALX Data Science programme will equip you with the crucial tools and techniques to analyse visual and statistical data, create models, and communicate results to inform data-driven decisions. In addition, you will learn the universal programming language Python and solve real-world problems using machine learning.
Delivered in partnership with ExploreAI, this globally-recognised certification will place you at the cutting edge of the digital economy, giving you a competitive advantage in the job market.
What career will this programme prepare me for?
- Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Big Data Architect
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Artificial Intelligence Engineer
- Data Management Specialist
- BI Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Our partnership with Mastercard Foundation allows us to offer eligible candidates access to world-class programme training at no cost. Each candidate has the opportunity to apply for a sponsored placement during the application process.*
Sponsored Fully Funded
US / Europe USD$28,500
*For more information, click here
What you’ll learn
- Understand common data terminology and learn how to define your problems before you tackle them.
- Build dashboards to tell compelling stories with your data.
- Learn Python programming fundamentals: working in notebooks, logic and functions, and data structures.
- Work with SQL to use databases for storing, reading, and updating data.
- Prepare data for modelling, build regression prediction models with Python, and fine-tune them for better results.
- Train and generate predictions from classification models.
- Learn about and implement natural language processing (NLP) techniques.
- Learn how to cluster unstructured data, build recommender systems and get hands-on with dimensionality reduction.
The ALX Journey
There are plenty of programmes that teach tech skills. At ALX, our “secret sauce” comes from our career-focused approach to learning. Through our hybrid learning model, we aim to develop well-rounded tech professionals who are equipped with both the professional and technical skills that enable them to thrive in the most in-demand, high-growth industries.
Learners in our Data Science programme will benefit from in-person ALX Foundations training at the start of the course. With ALX Foundations, you can expect a transformative three-month experience that will give you the edge to stand out in the job market, with expert training in interview techniques, soft skills, and essential career competencies.
Co-working, Connecting and Climbing
Unlock the key to success and join a community of like-minded individuals in a state-of-the-art co-working environment. Take advantage of high-speed internet, peer support, and an environment to help you thrive.
With our hybrid learning model, hubs are designed to take your productivity and success to new heights, where the rigour of online training is deepened through in-person experiences and practised in context. In-person training will be delivered at your hub during ALX Foundations, along with impactful activities throughout the Data Science programme.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Gain Access to The ROOM
Our Prestigious Talent Community to Power Your Future
An unrivalled community offering incredible support to accelerate your future career in tech. Utilising the best of virtual community building through our dedicated portal, combined with exclusive in-person experiences, events and opportunities.
- 14 months, 30-40 hours/week
- Access to a laptop or desktop computer
- Access to a stable internet connection
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Between 18 and 34 years of age, inclusive
- Of African origin
- Residing in and/or able to attend in-person activities in one of our city hubs
- Build your foundations to thrive in the modern world of work.
- Engage in a hybrid learning experience with both in-person and online elements to help you succeed.
- Gain access to The ROOM Fellowship, our prestigious talent community where you can gain access to world-class events, perks and rewards, and lifelong learning.
- Receive a Data Science certification.
- Join our global tech talent community and continue your career journey.
Hear From Our Community
“ALX got me to step out of the norm into a totally different industry. I could never have imagined that I would be studying Software Engineering.”
— Busisiwe Duma, South Africa
“The program is challenging, but the hard things in life are the things that lead you further..”
— Jemima, South Africa
“Don’t let your gender define what you do. There are always unlimited opportunities - so with this ALX course I just took it.”